Sara lives and works in Brooklyn, NY. Her video (single-channel, projection and video installation), 2D work and installations have been included in numerous shows and screenings nationally and internationally since the late '80s. Since 2006, her other on-going project has been drawing. Her one-person shows include 2012 the Governors Island Art Fair, NYC; in 2009, both Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY and Open Source Gallery, Brooklyn; 2002 in Gallery 456, NYC and 2000 in Momenta Art, Brooklyn.
2019 Exhibitions and Projects:
• April 5th
Open–Projections, Movement – curated by Daniel Hopkins at Coventry Cathedral Nave, UK.
2018 Exhibitions and Projects:
• November 15, 2018 to January 30, 2019
Inaugural E.Craig Wall Jr. Academic Center Video Projection Exhibition
Van Every/Smith Galleries, Davidson College, North Carolina
• August 24-25, 2018
Freeze Tag – Video Installation Event at Brooklyn Playground/Art Cluster Gallery
• August 13, 2018 – My Djerassi Residency Website Story Project published online at http://djerassi.org/stories/fog/
In 2017, her "Untitled I, II and III" digital image series was selected for "Learning to Fly – A Celebration of Flight and Exploration" at The Walsh Gallery, Seton Hall University, NJ. Her drawing was included in the "Et Tu, Art Brute?" exhibition at the Andrew Edlin Gallery Basement, NYC and her single-channel video "Walk the Cracks" was part of "TRUTH" at BRIC House Gallery, Brooklyn.
2016-2012 curated shows include "The Luminous Surface" video installation at Salisbury University, Maryland in 2015; “OPEN (C)ALL” drawing at BRIC House Gallery, Brooklyn in 2014; “Transmutation: The Future of Man” at Soapbox Gallery, Brooklyn in 2013; “Unhinged”–a drawing exhibition at Pierogi Gallery, NY in 2013 and video at Aurora New Media Art Festival in Dallas, Texas in 2013.
Pre-2012 curated video screening/projection/installation shows include "Immersive Surfaces" at Dumbo Arts Festival, Bklyn; video for “Telematic Urban Mythos” – a collaborative interactive media performance at Westbeth Courtyard, NYC; Pixilerations/FirstWorks New Media Festival, Providence, RI; Cologne Int'l Video Arts Festival, CologneOFF2011 at Cologne, Germany; Solo Project at Northside Open Studio Opening Exhibition, Brooklyn; Ende Tymes Festival Video Screening, Brooklyn; "Video: Recycled” at The Foundation for Art Resources at D-Block Gallery, Los Angeles; “A Wrinkle in Time” at Rotunda Gallery, Brooklyn; The 42nd Brooklyn Arts Council International Film Festival at The Brooklyn Museum; "Zero Gravity” at Video Dumbo, Brooklyn; video at “Golden Blueprints” at WG Gallery, Brooklyn; Art in General, NYC; Triple Candie, NYC; Asian American Art Center, NYC; Momenta Art VIDEO X, Brooklyn; Gallery Eleven Ten, Brooklyn; Palm Beach Institute of Contemporary Art, Palm Beach, Florida; Boston Center for the Arts, Coolidge Corner Theatre and Mobius in Boston.
For her Coffee Drawing Project, she had her one-person show in the Governors Island Art Fair, NYC in 2012. Recently selected drawing shows include Nov 2017-Jan 2018, the well reviewed “Et Tu, Art Brute?” at the Andrew Edlin Gallery Basement, NYC; Seeking Space 2017 Bushwick Open Studio Official Group Show, Bklyn; 2014 OPEN (C)ALL at BRIC House Gallery, Bklyn; Lorimoto Gallery, Bklyn in 2016; "Unhinged"–a drawing exhibition at Pierogi Gallery, Bklyn in 2013. And her drawings are part of The Drawing Center Viewing Program and Pierogi Gallery Online Flat File.
Sara has attended awarded artist residencies at McColl (Tryon) Center for Visual Art in Charlotte, NC; Djerassi Residency, CA and Ping-Tung Peninsula International Arts Festival and Residency, Taiwan. She was a Bronx Museum of the Arts AIM program artist. Past reviews of her work included Cate McQuaid at The Boston Globe; Christopher Millis at South End News, Boston; Matthew Murphy at IN Newsweekly, Boston; Gary Schwan at The Palm Beach Post, FL; Anthony Lane at The New Yorker; Sarah Schmerler at Time Out New York and World Journal Art Review, NYC.
• Knowledge of UI/UX
• Adobe Creative Cloud
• Digital design and layout
• Animate CC (aka Flash)
• Google Web Designer
• Static banner design and resizes
• HTML5 animated banners
• 2D Graphic Animation for Presentations
• Premiere Pro and FCP 7 video editing
• Video Presentations
• Indesign layout and production
• Photoshop website layout and production
• Email design
• Weebly website builder
• Edit code in Greensock temp., HTML/CSS
• Basic After Effect
• Basic Wordpress
Recent and Past Freelance:
• Ad Council, NYC
• KBS, NYC
• Havas, NYC
• Ingenio.com (KEEN), S.F.
• Sawyer Studios, NYC, L.A.
• Penguin Random House Publishing, NYC
• In Demand L.L.C., NYC
• Organic Inc., NYC
• The Cooper Group, NYC
• TBWA Worldwide, NYC
• Tag Worldwide, NYC
• The Gate Worldwide, NYC
• Ogilvy & Mather Interactive, NYC
• Anomaly, NYC
• JUICE Pharma Worldwide, NYC
• GSW Pharma Advertising, NYC
• CAHG Pharma Advertising, NYC
• Concentric Pharma Advertising, NYC
• Seiden Advertising, NYC
• BBMG Advertising, NYC
• KD&E, NYC
• MME, NYC
• One Eighteen Advertising Inc., L.A., CA
• Digital and Web Prod. Designer at GSW Pharma Worldwide, NYC
(2012 to 2013)
Performed digital and web production design and banner animation.
• Digital Interactive Designer at CAHG, NYC
(Oct to Dec 2010)
Assisted digital and web interactive projects and banner animation.
• Digital Production Designer at JUICE Pharma, NYC
(Aug to Dec 2009)
Assisted Illustrator, Photoshop, Flash animation and Proscape.
• Digital Interactive Designer at CAHG/Kinect Pharma, NYC
(2007 to 2009)
Designed and produced high quality Flash interactive pharma. projects and presentations with Proscape output. Supported Sr. Interactive Designers and Creative Directors in design and development.
• Print Production Designer at Time-Warner Inc., TEEN PEOPLE Magazine, NYC
(1998 to 2000)
Worked closely with the TEEN PEOPLE Art and Editorial Department on layout, production and QPS system.
• Print Production Designer at Time-Warner Inc., PEOPLE Magazine/PEOPLE Special, NYC
(1989 to 1996)
Worked closely with PEOPLE Special Art and Editorial Dept. on layout, production, QPS, scanning and photo manipulation.
The Town Hall Teaching Artist at PS 347 Middle School, NYC
(September 2014 to June 2015)
Taught hearing disabled middle school students Photoshop digital art and Flash animation. In 2015, my student's digital art was selected for the 1st annual NYC Manhattan Borough Arts Festival at the Cooper Hewitt Museum Harlem Design Center.
Substitute Summer Teaching at Stony Brook University, L.I., NY (Summer 2010)
Taught a 6-week undergraduate digital art class.
Graduate Artist Mentor at The Art Institute of Boston/
Lesley College, Boston, MA
(2007 and 2009)
• Mentored graduate Fine Arts students for their thesis shows.
• Conducted critiques and provided guidance for their projects.
Teaching Artist Consultant, 21st Century Community Learning Center, Henry Street Settlement, NYC
(Spring 2005 to March 2006)
• Conducted after-school classes combining digital photography, Photoshop and collage.
• Assisted graphic design projects for Henry School Settlement
and International School(HSSIS).
Adjunct Faculty Instructor at Long Island University, CW Post, NY
(2003 to 2005)
• Taught digital art courses to graduate and undergraduate Fine Art students.
• Conducted Graduate Independent Study for MFA Students.
Computer Graphics Instructor at Career Education Institute of Technology, NYC
(2002 to 2004)
• Taught monthly basic and advanced Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, Flash and Dreamweaver classes to adult learners and visa students; developed lesson plans; designed and managed student grades and students files.
M.F.A., Studio for Interrelated Media
Massachusetts College of Art, Boston, MA
MFA Studio Art Program at Hunter College, NYC
Studio Art Program at School of Visual Arts, NYC
B.A., Design and Media Art
University of California, Los Angeles, CA